On 8th December 1940 Druce & Co. Ltd. suffered extensive damage following a German bombing raid. The warehouse stock of bedding, furniture, carpets and antiques was largely destroyed. A small part of the building survived and it continued to be used by Druce & Co. until 1956. In 1957 the store was finally demolished and the site was developed as Michael House, serving as the UK headquarters of Marks & Spencer until 2005. The site now forms part of an office complex with adjoining shops and restaurants.
Druce & Co. Ltd. after the Second World War
by Mark Matlach