The Clay Cross Company became a limited company in 1913. It comprised of brickworks, three blast furnaces, a foundry, coke ovens, and gas plant, seven collieries, a lime works, a limestone quarry and ironstone mines.
In 1966 the Clay Cross company went public and in 1974 it was acquired by RMC (Ready Mixed Concrete), mainly for its quarries. In 1985, after RMC changed ownership a number of times, the company was bought by the Biwater Group. In 2000 Biwater sold the Clay Cross site to French company, Saint-Gobain. Some months later it was closed down with the loss of around 750 jobs. Demolition of the vast site began in late 2008.
By Mark Matlach