J. & N. Philips & Co. went on to become a nationwide merchanting and manufacturing company. The firm produced Dorcan fabrics and all types of ready-made clothing. In 1915, the business became a limited company: J. & N. Philips & Co. Ltd. During the Second World War, the company's Manchester premises were requisitioned as a site for the censorship of mail of British prisoners of war.
J. & N. Philips & Co. Ltd. ceased trading in 1970.
By Mark Matlach