Thresher & Glenny, founded in 1683, is one of the world's oldest surviving tailors, shirt makers and outfitters. The company has held Royal Warrants since the late 18th century and makes court attire, and bespoke and ready-for-service gentlemen's garments including suits, jackets, shirts and ties. Today, the company trades through a retail outlet at 2 Middle Temple Lane in London.
The business began as a bodice-making company near the Inns of Court in London in 1683. The firm traded as Newham & Binham in 1768 and by 1777 it was known as Newham & Thresher. By 1784 the business was taken over by Richard Thresher and became official hosier to George III. In 1827 the head of the company was John Thresher who described himself as “hosier, glover and flannel draper to His Majesty”. In 1901 the firm traded as Henry John Glenny “Indian and Colonial Outfitter.” The Thresher and Glenny partnership was cemented by marriage over several generations, through which the Glenny name became predomonant. The last family member involved in the firm, Henry Glenny died in 1936, by which time the company had extended its operations to Clifford Street, Savile Row, Conduit Street, Mayfair and Gracechurch Street.
Military, naval and colonial officers made up a large part of the company's clientele at the height of the British Empire, and a number of specialist items were developed for their specific needs, including “Indian Gauze waistcoats”, overland trunks for journeys to India, and trenchcoats designed for British army officers in the First World War.
by Mark Matlach