Following the First World War, LEP became involved in air freight by transporting aircraft to race meetings. An air freight office was opened at Hounslow airport in 1919 and in 1924 the company was appointed exclusive freight agent to the newly established Imperial Airways. The business expanded over the next twenty years with offices opening in several European countries. During the Second World War LEP formed a special unit to carry out salvage of crashed fighters and bomber aircraft. LEP's expertise in the handling and assembly of motor vehicles led to a contract to process 360,000 military vehicles for British and Canadian forces.
After the War LEP expanded into Asia and Australia. The company was floated on the London Stock Exchange in 1947, becoming LEP Group plc in 1951. In 1996 the business was acquired by International Logistics, which was renamed GeoLogistics two years later.
Head Office of LEP Transport at Sunlight Wharf, London
by Mark Matlach