Sunday, March 17, 2013

Wright Brothers Limited

In 1896, brothers Alfred and Harold Wright opened a draper's shop in George Street, Richmond in London. The shop grew to become a small department store which became incorporated as Wright Brothers Ltd in 1929.

In 1940 Wright Brothers was purchased by a department store in Kingston called Hide & Co. Ltd who ran it as a subsidiary company. Hide & Co. Ltd., together with its subsidiaries, was acquired by House of Fraser in 1975.

The department store in George Street was closed down in 1990 and the site is now occupied by a Tesco supermarket.

by Mark Matlach

1 comment:

  1. There are photos of the depository in 1900 at calmview.EU/Richmond/calmview . search for "the square".