Walter Lazenby (c1835-1910), was a sauce and pickle manufacturer. He was the head of the long established firm of wine merchants, which traded as E. Lazenby and Sons. What had been a small business employing 20 to 40 employees expanded under his direction to become a large factory in Bermondsey making bottled sauces and employing several hundreds.
The company was absorbed into Crosse and Blackwell empire in the 1920s.
Ingall, Parsons, Clive & Co. Ltd. was a brassfounder and coffin manufacturer and was regarded as a leading funeral supply company in the UK in the 20th century. The business was established in Birmingham in 1888 following the amalgamation of fifteen companies in the city.
In 1928, Ingall's had 600 employees and was the largest firm in the coffin trade, with branches in most of the larger cities in the UK. The company is now dissolved but it seems to have traded until at least the early 1980s.
Thomas Tapling & Co. Ltd. was a furniture manufacturer and carpet wholesaler based in London. The company owned a furniture factory in Finsbury, a bedding factory in east London and carpet warehouses in Manchester.
Thomas Tapling died in 1882, having made a fortune from the business. His son, Thomas Keay Tapling, abandoned his plans for a career in law, and took over the family enterprise. The company expanded and prospered, enabling Tapling to return to his childhood hobby of stamp collecting. By 1887 he had one of the two greatest stamp collections in the world, the other being that of Count Ferrary. Among his holdings were many famous rarities, including both values of the “Post Office” Mauritius and three examples of the Inverted Head Four Annas of India. Tapling became Vice-President of the Philatelic Society and his collection was a key source for the Society's handbooks.
Thomas Tapling died of pleurisy in 1891 aged just 35. After his death, Tapling's stamp collection was donated to the British Library in London, and remains intact—the only 19th century collection to be so—though it is too large to display all at one time. Its 4,500 valuable sheets are now thought to be worth at least £10 million.
Kessler & Co. was a textile wholesaler established in Manchester in 1830. In 1850 the company had a shipping warehouse constructed at 40 Port Street, Manchester. Kesslers moved into banking in New York in 1882, but still maintained their textile merchandising activities. In 1902 the business was incorporated as a private limited company. In the 1920s the registered office for Kessler & Co. Ltd. was given as 33 Dale Street, Manchester with a branch office at Vicar Lane, Bradford. The company traded until at least the 1950s.
The warehouse in Port Street is now occupied by various workshops and offices.
40 Port Street, Manchester, formerly a warehouse for Kessler & Co.
Redmayne & Co. was founded in 1868 by Samuel Redmayne who established a clothing manufacturing company in Wigton, Cumberland. Redmayne purchased an old shirt factory which he named the Wigton Clothing Factory, and began producing ready-made clothing for men and boys. The company grew and became the leading employer in Wigton. By 1878 branches had been opened in Carlisle, Cockermouth, Penrith, Maryport and Workington.
The factory in Wigton was demolished in 1987, but the company continues today as a bespoke and custom tailor at 30 High Street, Wigton.