Pellatt & Co. was a glass manufacturing company established in London in 1802 by Apsley Pellatt and James Green under the name Pellatt & Green. The company had a glassworks known as the Falcon Glass House in Blackfriars, and a large showroom at St. Paul's Churchyard which became the principal glass shop in London during the Regency period. Pellatt & Green gained recognition for their glass illuminators (“deck lights”) for admitting daylight into internal parts of ships and buildings. Pellatt & Green was also the first in England to manufacture glass paperweights.
Apsley Pellatt died in 1826 and his son Apsley Junior took control of the company which he renamed Apsley Pellatt & Co. in 1831. The firm patented the process for encasing a medallion in glass, later called cameo incrustation or sulphides, however the company's main production was high quality cut crystal glass.
When Apsley Junior retired in 1855, his younger brother Frederick took over the business which was subsequently renamed Pellatt & Co.
In 1890 the firm returned to its former name of Apsley Pellatt & Co. and in 1921 it was incorporated as a limited liability company which continued to trade into the 1930s.
Cut glass and sulphides had gone out of fashion in the 1850s and Pellatt & Co. turned to the production of engraved glass. The company began exporting glass products to wealthy Maharajas in India and this became a crucial part of its business.
The Pellatt & Co. showroom at St. Paul's Churchyard. For sale were chandeliers, decanters, paperweights, scent bottles and other glass products.
by Mark Matlach