The supply area is 322 square miles (830 km2), extending from Morden and South Croydon in the north to Gatwick Airport in the south, and from Cobham and Dorking in the west to Edenbridge and Bough Beech in the east.
1862: The Caterham Spring Water Company is founded. It supplies water to Caterham, Coulsdon, Chaldon, Warlingham, Godstone, Bletchingley, Nutfield, Reigate, Redhill, and Earlswood.
1863: The Sutton and Cheam Water Company begins to supply water to the parish of Sutton.
1871: Sutton District Water takes over the Sutton and Cheam Water Company. This new company supplies Sutton, Cheam, Carshalton, Wallington, Beddington, Morden, Banstead, Woodmansterne, Ewell, and Cuddington.
1885: The Caterham Spring Water Company merges with the Kenley Water Company, creating the East Surrey Water Company.
1910: Kingswood is added to the Sutton District Water's supply area.
1927: East Surrey Water merges with Leatherhead and District Water.
1930: East Surrey Water merges with the Chelsham and Warlingham Water Company and the Limpsfield and Oxted Water Company.
1959: East Surrey Water merges with the Dorking Water Company.
1996: Sutton District Water merges with the East Surrey Water to form Sutton and East Surrey Water.
by Paul Green
Post a Comment