By the 1870s, the company had expanded to become a huge department store. There were departments for silks, velvets, furniture, haberdashery, millinery, boots and shoes, furs, carpets, and suits. The store was the largest retailer in Elephant and Castle—a thriving shopping area at this time—known as "the Picadilly of south London."
William Tarn & Co.'s Illustrated Catalogue published c. 1890-1900
by Mark Matlach