In the 1920's and 1930's Napier Brown was one of many city commodity houses specialising in sugars, dried fruits, pulses and canned goods. The company thrived in these complex and competitive markets, broadening their customer base and building a reputation as an independently minded and flexible trader.
Napier Brown helped the development of golden granulated cane sugar in the 1970s. This was made available to consumers as a more natural, healthy alternative to white refined sugar.
Organic cane sugars were introduced in the 1990's to meet a growing demand from food manufacturers. Organic granulated, caster and demerara cane sugars were supplied to both retailers and food manufacturers using product sourced from audited suppliers in South America.
Fairtrade sugars were launched in 2001, the first range using Malawi-sourced sugar in innovative packaging designs. Fairtrade premiums have gone back to Malawi, Zambia and Paraguay to fund local projects in villages, schools and health centres.
Napier Brown become a public company by listing on AIM in 2003 and was acquired by The Real Good Food Company plc in 2005.
by Paul Green
Post a Comment