In 1871 the company moved to new premises in Farringdon Road. It seems that at this time a new partner was taken on as the company name became Sales, Pollard, Lloyd & Co.
Cigar making in England commenced around 1830 and Sales, Pollard, Lloyd & Co. developed a reputation for producing fine quality cigars made from Havanna, Manilla and Sumatra tobacco. The company also made cut and roll tobacco of various sorts, including the "Golden Fleece" and "Golden Virginia Leaf" brands. In 1893 Sales, Pollard, Lloyd & Co. was acquired by a larger tobacco company called W.D. & H.O. Wills.
The Sales, Pollard, Lloyd overprint may also be found on the 1881 1d Lilac stamp.
by Mark Matlach
Post a Comment