A blog for the Commercial Overprint Society of Great Britain (COSGB).
Sunday, July 29, 2012
W. J. Rogers Ltd.
W. J. Rogers Ltd. was a brewing company established in 1845 at Jacob Street in Bristol. The brewery made pale ales and stouts which, in 1891, were sold in 25 tied houses in Gloucestershire. W. J. Rogers was acquired by a brewery from Reading called H. & G. Simonds Ltd. in 1935 and ceased brewing in 1952. The site of the Jacob Street brewery is now occupied by the offices of the Bristol Evening Post.
W. J. Roger's brewery c 1889 showing the “double-drop” system of fermentation. The beer is first fermented in the upper tuns for 12 to 16 hours then dropped into the pontos below to continue fermentation.