In 1909, the company began production of a new automotive lubricant named Castrol (a contraction of Castor oil, from which it was made). The company developed specific oil applications for various applications of the new internal combustion engine, including automobiles, motorcycles, and aircraft.
It was in 1917 that the company was first advertised as C. C. Wakefield and Co., a registered company.
In the following years Castrol oil products were to be found in all aspects of the transport industry, in particular working with pioneering aviators and motorists, such as:
- Helping flight pioneers Alcock and Brown for their first non-stop flight across the Atlantic.
- In 1925, M. Campbell sets a new World Land Speed record.
- W. Handley becomes the first rider to win two Isle of Man TT races in one week.
- Bentley win Le Mans in 1928 at an average speed of 69 mph.
During 1960 C. C. Wakefield and Co changed the name of the group to Castrol Ltd. At this time the head office was moved into a new building ‘Castrol House’, in the Marylebone Road, London
In 1966, Castrol Ltd was acquired by British oil company Burmah, which was renamed Burmah-Castrol in 1967.
In 2000, Burmah-Castrol was acquired by the then BP Amoco plc (now renamed BP plc). Castrol branded lubricants continue to be sold around the world and are, in many countries, market leaders.
by Paul Green